Saturday, March 14, 2009

Seasonal CPS

Many of you are probably unaware that I suffer from a malady called Seasonal CPS. It seems to really flare up every year around this time. This past week I have suffered with an unusually bad case.

If you are unaware of the meaning, it stands for Seasonal Cranky-Pants Syndrome. And I've got it BAD.

Since I live in New York, I do my best to brace myself for the long cold winters. We try to be creative with our indoor time--reading, coloring, dancing, learning, lots of sesame street and curious george. We even occasionally brave the outdoors. At least long enough to get pictures--proof that I am a good mom.

But around about the fifth month of frigid temperatures and cloudy days, I start to feel a little loony. No. Scratch that. A LOT loony.

This week I decided that CPS must be genetic, because I'm pretty sure my son has inherited a case of it. The other morning, in complete desperation, I picked him up, threw a coat and some boots on him and tossed him outside with strict instructions not to come back in until I said so. Don't worry. I let him in before dark.

Well, today I am pleased to announce that Mrs. Cranky Pants has left the building. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the screen door is open and it's over 40 degrees! Do I hear an amen?!

In honor of this special occasion, Griffin and I celebrated with our annual first signs of spring activity:






















Part of my euphoric state could also be attributed to the fact that I ran a St. Patrick's Day 4-mile race with my sister this morning.

Can we say endorphins?

PLUS...I went and took advantage of these deals yesterday.

Sigh...life is good. (I refuse to look at the weather forecast, but life is still good.)


1 comment:

Briggs said...

I can't imagine living in a cold/drury place. We've had about 4 days in a row of cold/rainy and I'm going nuts! However come about July 1 I'll be complaining that it's so hot you can't go outside without melting! I'm thinking someplace like Colorado. Cold but sunny and perfect in the summer. Want to come?